Training and Education
Destination North coast
Improve the knowledge and understanding of tourism stakeholders across the North Coast in the accessible/inclusive tourism opportunity and improve service standards and delivery to this sector.
The North Coast Destination Management Plan 2018 to 2021 had identified accessible tourism as a key area for improvement in the region.
The project included delivery of a series of industry workshops aimed at improving the understanding of tourism operators of the accessible tourism market and the opportunity it presents. Workshops provided presentations of best practice communications and respectful interactions, staff training and customer service. Subsequent mentoring helped operators to translate ideas into practical actions.
Tourism operators were able to develop their own Visitor Access/Accessibility Guide for communicating their access information to potential visitors and marketing their business.
“Melissa James is an experienced and knowledgeable inclusive tourism consultant and trainer and proved her worth in delivering this project for Destination North Coast. We were highly pleased with the workshop delivery, mentoring and follow up support. Feedback from our industry participants was similarly very positive. Destination North Coast has no hesitation in recommending Melissa for similar projects that support industry education, awareness and upskilling in the accessible/inclusive tourism space.”
Similar projects have been completed with
- Destination Gold Coast for tourism operators
- Coffs Harbour City Council for tourism operators
- Clarence Valley Council for businesses including tourism
- Gold Coast City Council for Gold Coast Libraries and HOTA staff
- Tweed Shire Council for internal customer service staff
- National Parks and Wildlife Coffs regional staff
- Lithgow Council for businesses including tourism
- Southern Cross University for students undertaking Tourism studies